Cherry Flavoured Antacids
Prose, Poetry and Random Musings.

Demented Insomniac

By Homer Simpson!


Insomnia

In.som.ni.a -[in-som-nee-uh]

-noun
1.inability to obtain sufficient sleep, esp. when chronic; difficulty in falling or staying asleep; sleeplessness.


Far-Flung jelly eyes impinge the ceiling,
with the blank innocent virgin white patch;
that stares back with the ferocious might.
Of black holes gaping wide enough onto
within the universe, dark.The cryptic plight

The blindfold of elusive rest ransacking my mind
in some unreachable dimension of the pillow,
unwisely laid below, under my bed, unconscious.
Irksome sleep teasing me. 4 AM. Clock's easing me.
Eyelids shut. Eyes wide open. Isn't it obnoxious?

My head of stone. Prosaic arms.
This mind does not live here anymore
This mind does not live here anymore
Until the blackness comes shouting,
This stone-head can’t hold me anymore

Oh Morpheus, you never blessed me with wings,
 to fly upon your night. The veil that separates the light
from your oblivion to the conscious fight.
I wish my soul to rise from hell. Deep into the day
Dreams inverted. Sleep perverted. Perverted freight.

Flowing is the potency of nonexistent null dreams.
Running away from reality into the ocean of imagination
My sanity has ended with the day raping the silence
With my mind resorting to fighting tomorrow's night,
And win. Not lose. To die. Leave behind an extra pence.

My head of stone. Prosaic arms.
This mind does not live here anymore
This mind does not live here anymore

Until the blackness comes shouting,
This stone-head can’t hold me anymore
I slowly disappear...Disappear somewhere...Amen!


Insomnia

In.som.ni.a -[in-som-nee-uh]

-I don't care!
1. The phenomenon of dangling suspended between the world of the disordered living and the peaceful dead. About finding unexpected inspiration from a numb listless mind. Being Involved in defying hallucinations. Making love to the fire flies.
 

94 comments so far.

  1. Shrey Gandhi July 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    gud work dude...amazing
  2. Comfortably Numb July 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    Thank you sir :P
  3. anurag July 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    Good use of language!!
  4. Abha July 16, 2008 at 2:15 PM
    ..raat ko jaag kar likha hoga zaroor.....:D.....u can seriously fetch a lot of money with it...I can be ur financial advisor then...:P.....
  5. Homer Simpson! July 16, 2008 at 2:33 PM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Anindita July 16, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    Jellies on the ceiling?? :P

    Nice work! :)

    Anindita. ^^
  7. Comfortably Numb July 16, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    @ anurag..thanks :)
  8. Comfortably Numb July 16, 2008 at 2:42 PM
    @ abha....
    Yes Yes Yes Yes....*ebil ebil laughter*

    And a HUGE commission for you..something like 2.76%...OK? *ebil laughter*

    MUHA HAH AH AH....we can make billions....millions...trillions....and and and....

    *falls over unconscious*
  9. Comfortably Numb July 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM
    @anindita...
    Oh actually is jelly-eyes...right? :P

    Thanks for dropping in :)
  10. .a. July 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    finally your new post :)

    There are few words that you love irrespective of reasons and all, Insomnia and Slumber are my favorite, believe me!

    of course I love the poem!

    Our eyes has a gelitenous substance filled in it, yet we never use jelly-eyes, loved the idea. (Eyes always give me a grotesque image, eyes hanging on nerves out of the socket and swinging like pendulums.. gory, I know) Ok now ahead of eyes, the cryptic plight in the universe, the black and the white!

    Eyelids shut. Eyes wide open. Isn't it obnoxious?

    I call it a curse, Happens with me most of the time, i keep on tossing turning till its already fajar and then i sleep, before the prayers of course.. bad bad i know.

    I have something with the extreme opposites, sleepdeprivation and insomnia always hit me at the same time and i irk, ache, yearn for sleep to come bow to me! hardly does.
    I know the transition state midist of sleep and awake, half-haze, when the mind is practically numb hence:

    This mind don’t live here nomore
    Until the blackness comes shouting
    This stone-head can’t hold me nomore.

    to the first line of this stanza (My head of stone. Prosaic arms.) I kept reading it Plastic arms, I'm getting blind :O

    and dreams :), reminds me of Pochahauntas SOng (Or do you still wait for me dreamgiver!!)
    nothing related to it though,

    Oh Morpheus, you never blessed me with wings to
    fly upon your night.

    i like it, flying out, thats why everytime i wish people goodnight and sleep tight i blow pixie dust on them so they fly out to the window of dreams... because everything, afterall, is possible in dreams!

    Dreams inverted. Sleep perverted. Perverted freight.

    even this:
    My sanity has ended with the day raping the silence
    and:
    And Win. Not lose. To die. Leave behind an extra pence


    I slowly disappear...Disappear somewhere...Amen!

    Beautiful. I hope y ou read you more and more, It'll help me learn i know..

    asbah.
  11. .a. July 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    pixie dust, remember Tinkerbell?

    I hope TO read you more! *
  12. Ilyas Kazi July 16, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    Wow @ night!

    In btw nice template!
  13. The Lover July 16, 2008 at 4:11 PM
    Really fantastic post. I guess insomnia and blogger are synonymous.

    I wrote a story once called Insomniac. Do read if you get the time.

    The Lover

    http://soulintoxicated.blogspot.com/
  14. Sandeep Balan July 16, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    new one finally...insomnia deciphered!! he he..good one bro..blogrolled ;)
  15. Comfortably Numb July 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    @ asbah...
    thanks a LOT! And yes thats in capitals. Thanks for the wonderful analysis. I appreciate the time you take out :)

    Cheers!

    @ ilyas:
    thanks :)

    @the lover...
    I know...and theres nothing I can say but "I agree"
  16. Comfortably Numb July 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    @ sandeep...
    thanks a lot :)
  17. Tarun July 17, 2008 at 5:45 AM
    nice blog ..
  18. Rohan Nigam July 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    Nice post... especially nice for insomniac's like me ! :)
  19. Pranay July 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    i bet this was 'inspired' frm my "sound of sleep"!! U infringing insomniac!!!
    And hell u did it bettr than me!

    It was awsome man. Esp the morpheus para.. And also those lines..
    "Eyelids closed. Eyes wide open..."
    Kya khayalaat hain.. waah waah!!

    And i liked ur definition more!! Seriously.. i liked the unique idea..
    why dont u create a post giving ur own definitions to some selected words..
    And btw.. i remember.. i can sue u and all ur cherries this time. Keep a million dollar cheque handy fruity!!
  20. Comfortably Numb July 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM
    @ tarun....thanks

    @ rohit... Cheers!

    @ pranay... STFU :P. YOur sound of sleep wasnt bad at all. But yea even I agree that I did it better..LMAO

    No seriously..both of them are unique in their own way :) Shukriya shukriya for gaur farmaying on my thoughts :P
    Oh yea sue me. EEveryones after my *imaginary* money :x

    Cheers!
  21. alex paul k July 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM
    brilliant work
    waiting 4 ur posts r worth d time
  22. Comfortably Numb July 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM
    @alex: thanks man! I hope I live upto it :)
  23. prax July 17, 2008 at 2:59 PM
    gud.............
  24. Sandeep Balan July 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    hey insomniac...the postman is updating u wid the news of the latest mussadi episode release...cheers!
  25. Tarun July 18, 2008 at 2:15 AM
    GUD wrk ..
  26. MIRALLIONZ® July 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM
    hey u gotta do serious cadence.....
  27. ira July 18, 2008 at 2:42 PM
    I love the pic!
    and welcome to non-sleepers club! :)
    nice piece of writing too..!
  28. CutePooja July 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    gr8 work...loved it...

    :)
  29. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 3:35 PM
    @ millionz... wokay :)
  30. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    @ ira: Although I wrote this on insomnia but Im not one of them. Its just that I experienced somthing like this a long time back so I wrote it. I sleep late but then its not that I cannot sleep when I try to :)

    Thanks for reading :)

    Cheers!!
  31. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    @ cute pooja... Thanks :)
  32. Paritosh Rai July 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    what are we exactly fighting- insomnia or thoughts that make us an insomniac? i have always wondered about this question.
    made me introspect; this poem of yours. Brilliant potrayal of a restless mind.....
  33. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    @paritosh:

    See if there were no thoughts in our mind about being insomniac then we wouldn't be one. I know its confusing but there is nothing physical about being an insomniac...its all up there...in the mind. As is the case with most of our issues. So the fight is actually with the thoughts and the thoughts are the exact reason for someone being an insomniac :)

    Thanks for reading :)

    Cheers!!
  34. Paritosh Rai July 18, 2008 at 6:23 PM
    funny thing you see. the ability to think makes us human, sentient beings and a slight overdose deprives us of one of the most basic joys of being a human...sleep. is over-indulgence a sin, then?
  35. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 6:43 PM
    Yea spot on. For me over-indulgence IS a sin. If you indulge more than you need to in people's life then you get mauled. And yes just like we have the ability to think, we have the ability to do a lot of things and most of them turn ugly when we over indulge :P

    Cheers!
  36. Abhu July 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    Nice work! Liked what u've written.
  37. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    @ abhu...

    Thanks :) Keep coming :)
  38. Rashi V July 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM
    I have always wondered why our thoughts get so weird when we cant sleep..Is the quietness all around that makes us hear our own inner voice loud and clear? Or it is the exasperation of the entire situation that makes us so vulnerable to our thoughts.?

    I believe that sleep or sleeplessness are both unique. Enjoy each moment of both bcas neither lasts for long :)
  39. Cinderella. July 18, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    I have read gore,
    I have fought demons in the dark in the corners of a room,
    I have been insomniac and listless....
    and i have known what anging between "disordered living and peacful death" means.....

    But coming up with something engulfing as this...I have never.

    Amazing !
  40. Cinderella. July 18, 2008 at 9:02 PM
    I guess I'll link you..
  41. Cinderella. July 18, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    Also I love your blog name ! Very unusual...
  42. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 9:06 PM
    @ rashi:

    Its not that our thoughts get complicated when we cannot sleep. Its the other way round. We cannot sleep cos our thoughts are complicated. We think way too much about our life,action, people around etc etc than we need to..

    I dunno about sleep but sleeplessness can last for really long. Ive known people who havent slept for like 3 weeks. And I know none whos been sleeping for 3 weeks :P

    Cheers!
  43. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    @ Cinderella...

    Thanks a lot. I know that what Ive written is like the most common stuff going in those dark rooms and vacant eyes :)

    Cheers!
  44. Vinayak July 18, 2008 at 9:10 PM
    gud work
    ur blog is brilliant.
    keep it up.
  45. Comfortably Numb July 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM
    @ vinayak:

    Thanks!! I hope I will:)
  46. •sowmya• July 19, 2008 at 1:04 AM
    jelly-eyes and cieling.. hw did u get this thought...!
    eyelids shut and eyes wide open... i guess i'll go mad if i keep keep thinking of this..!

    wil wait for ur next post.. :)
  47. Solitaire July 19, 2008 at 1:15 AM
    Wow..its deep and yet on something that should not be philosophical.
  48. kekedascully July 19, 2008 at 2:48 AM
    Thank you for visiting my blog.
    I will try to translate the poems.
  49. rantravereflect/ jane July 19, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    hey DI((acronym) ya got me sleepless with that.. :)
    "My head of stone. Prosaic arms.
    This mind don’t live here nomore
    This mind don’t live here nomore"

    i can almost imagine the demonic dark knight- with those far-flung jelly eyes, hed of stone, n prosaic arms that fly about as though they can't be laid to rest- maybe ya should create a hero of this guy :)

    prob something like summanus- th egod of the night thunder, who stands tall n darrk against morpheus :)

    i 'm in awe of an insomniac- there's sooo much more he can do than those who can sleep :):)

    "Dreams inverted. Sleep perverted. Perverted freight."
    vivid n a riot!!
    grt going man!!!
  50. Tairebabs July 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM
    This is a lovely post. My favourite lines were:

    "My head of stone. Prosaic arms.
    This mind don’t live here nomore
    This mind don’t live here nomore
    Until my eyes resort to bulging.
    This stone-head can’t hold me nomore."

    sometime ago I had a bad breakup (some would say is there such a thing as a good breakup) and I couldn't sleep for days and the above lines were my feelings. Glad thats over now. heeew. Now I sleep maybe abit too much. lol
  51. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    @sowmya:

    Im glad that atleast my poem got ou thinking. I think I will post something new in a few days :)

    Cheers!
  52. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    Solitaire:

    I know. I was talking about Insomnia with one of my friends whos into psychology and stuff. She told me that there is definitely something "physical" about insomnia!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

    Cheers!
  53. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    kekedascully:

    Yea please let me know as and when you finish translating your poems :)

    Cheers!
  54. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    @ jane:

    Thanks a lot :) Muchly appreciated :)
  55. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM
    @tairebabs

    Excess of everything turns ugly...isnt it? :P
    Thanks a lot!

    Cheers!
  56. 'A' Rod July 19, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    whoa! some poem...nice work
  57. Misty Rhythm July 19, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    "eyelids shut, eyes wide open"

    quite an insomniac myself!! i can totally relate to it..

    good work, keep writing!
  58. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    @ a rod: What...is that inspired by Andy Roddick ? :P

    Thanks a lot for dropping by :)
  59. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    @ misty:

    I'm glad that you can relate to it. I think its kindaa mission accomplished for me :P

    Cheers!
  60. C R D July 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    woah woah..looks like some one was staring at the ceiling for too long. what the hell was on the ceiling? rabid mosquitoes? [:P]

    mebbe if u werent feelin sleepy, u shudve come online. .actually, mebbe its good u dint, we'd never have this poem in tht case :P

    cheers
  61. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    You got it all wrong crissDUDE ( I used to adore your name...LMAO!!). YOu really have to see my ceiling to believe whats there...Now dont get your mind running when it comes to seeing the ceiling...

    Wonderful majestic art by Michelangelo :P

    Cheers!
  62. ranjana July 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM
    seems you have been bitten by the insomnia bug
  63. Comfortably Numb July 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM
    @ ranjana....

    Not at all...Its just that I was feeling something like this few days back. And I usually end up penning everything that I feel :P

    Cheers!
  64. ranjana July 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    yeah i become insomniac off and on
  65. Sneha July 21, 2008 at 8:15 AM
    Good work........amazing.
    :)
  66. Sandeep Balan July 21, 2008 at 10:51 AM
    sleeping or what...long time no post!! btw...ur postman has brought in news of the latest installment....
  67. $ulakshna Wadhwa July 22, 2008 at 12:00 AM
    heya..well..ghosh!!
    m amazed..superb blog dude..i mean..m so glad i landed into ur profile..n m an insomniac too..so itz jz so perfect ya..
    well ur blog's totally amazing..wil surely keep a track on it nw..n u've gt so mny comments already..lucky chap :),my comment mite nt gain dat importance though bt no issues love ur blog..!!

    cheers,
    sulakshna :)
  68. Knatchbulley Hughzscene July 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM
    nice work.. only an insomnianc can describe it so well..
    **This stone-head can’t hold me nomore**...
  69. Comfortably Numb July 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    @ ranjana :-s. ...It remains off for me :)
  70. Comfortably Numb July 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    @ sneha... Thanks a lot :)
  71. Comfortably Numb July 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    @ sandeep: Will check it right away :)
  72. Comfortably Numb July 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    @sulakshna
    Thanks a lot. Each and every comment matters to me. Helps me develop. But yea Im not an insomniac :P

    Cheers and I hope yo see you around :)
  73. Comfortably Numb July 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    knatchbulley:

    OMG...I thought only my name was weird..:P
    Thanks a lot but as I said Im not one of them but yea Ive felt this way :P

    Cheers!
  74. Cinderella. July 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM
    LOL ! Yeah !
  75. Indianblogger July 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    I have a rather different way of looking at your poem.(All that study of Freud will otherwise go waste)Hold your breath, here goes my analysis:
    Insomnia is caused more so in girls and boys between 15-30. That's why child marriages were so popular until the 1950s.{In other words,Sex cures imsomnia:)}
    I see "virgin white patch", "black holes gaping wide", "sleep teasing","day raping" are all metaphors of sex, which I think is all normal.
    I also see light versus dark imagery here: black, dark, blindfold,unconscious, eyelids shut, blackness, night, veil, perverted, oblivion, hell, night.
    versus
    blank, innocent,white,open, light, day etc.
    There is a conflict, probably between what you desire (and is good) versus what you were conditioned to think is not good. I don't really know.
    They say poems reveal the innermost people. I also write, so I understand that there is always a line which is (mis)understood by the readers and happily allows the poet to smile victoriously to himself that his original intention still lay concealed and only to himself!!Cheers!
  76. anusha July 22, 2008 at 10:19 PM
    complex! gud use of language! and yup! great details!!

    gud job!! ^_^
  77. Comfortably Numb July 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM
    @ cind...

    LOL what?!
    :P
  78. Comfortably Numb July 24, 2008 at 12:23 AM
    @indianblogger:

    I always say that understanding poetry isnt about people wondering and daydreaming about what the poet was thinking when he was writing this. Useless. Develop your own point of view. Decide for your own if the poem is good or not :P

    But yes I must say that you almost got it in the same way I meant it to be. The words you picked out were deliberately added. I dont think many people noticed it. But you did :P

    Cheers!
  79. Comfortably Numb July 24, 2008 at 12:23 AM
    @ anusha!

    Thanks a lot :)
  80. Nabila Zehra Zaidi July 25, 2008 at 2:29 AM
    Niceness....

    Mujhe neend na aaye... in a much more decent and poetic form ;)

    I like the flow and ease in your writing.

    Cheers! :)
  81. WeirdISgooD2 July 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    "With my mind resorting to fighting tomorrow's night"

    There are some poems like Wordsworth's...you just commit lines to memory. I think this is one of "those".

    Very well written.

    What i wondered about though was the " Isnt it obnoxious" ...I find the eyelids shut, eyes wide open stage pitiful and i just cant wait to find oblivion when it arrives.
  82. Shiva July 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM
    a brilliant masterpiece.
    truly expressed with marvellous words....

    hope u drop by @
    CrAzYbLoG
    v.CoL
  83. Divya August 1, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    :D this was awesome! really good descriptions and a fun read :)
  84. Me?!? August 2, 2008 at 5:55 AM
    up suddenly at 4 am, i read the perfect post for me!!

    very inrtiguing.....
  85. K.J.M. August 4, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    good one! i can understand some of your feelings after I spent my first night..

    and 84 comments!!??!! Duh!
  86. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM
    @nabila:

    Mujhe neend na aaye...aahhh nostalgia :P
    ROFLLMAO

    Thanks a lot for reading and liking :)

    Cheers!
  87. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM
    @weird

    omg..Wordsworth...Thanks...Prolly made my day :)

    Thanks a lot..and yes I find those lines pitiful too...but dontchu think that the whole concept of insomnia is pitiful...I mean no offense to all the insomniacs but still...

    Cheers!!
  88. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:24 PM
    @shiva

    Thanks a lot..I just hope that you are a bit more elaborate the next time around :P

    Cheers!
  89. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM
    @shiva

    Thanks a lot..I just hope that you are a bit more elaborate the next time around :P

    Cheers!
  90. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM
    @divya

    Thanks a lot..but certainly I cannot find a fun part in it...lmao...*kidding*

    Cheers!
  91. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM
    @me

    Perfect time slot. Thanks.

    Cheers!
  92. Comfortably Numb August 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM
    @kjm

    I am glad that you can understand. That is for sure a compliment for a poet :P

    84 comments...dude they are 92 now...Half of them are mine..reply's you see :P

    Cheers!
  93. peter September 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM
    hey this is absolutely true ...ur wrk is better than mine trust me ...I dun consider my poem as a gud piece of wrk,specially this one(I wrote tht in my blog too).
    .I was half asleep when I wrote ..I wanted to write more ..and somethng like wat u have written !

    kudos !
  94. Free-Fallin' November 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    who are u, kid?

Something to say?