Cherry Flavoured Antacids
Prose, Poetry and Random Musings.

And I'm sorry.

Category: , , , By Homer Simpson!

It was there on his locker, a small, unobtrusive flash of color against the cold-looking expanse of metal. Frowning to himself he opened the locker to have 'it' flutter to the floor. There it was, a Post-It note, in a cheery shade of blue and folded in half. The poem was on a sheet of printer paper this time, hastily folded, the ink smeared slightly. He saw that the page was nearly full.
The writing slanted to the right, the letters small and looping, without any sharp lines or straight angles. It was writing he knew all too well. A sigh escaped his lips and the paper crumpled in his fist as explanations hovered around him like a mist and he wondered. He licked his lips as he began to read.

How shall I live, unless I die?
How shall I laugh, unless I cry?
Ain't no truth, without the lie
Ain't no black, without the white
But love is true and Yes, so am I.

The fire in you burns me bad.
I'll never stop reaching for that flame.
Your enthusiasm drowns me in exuberance.
I keep charging against humongous waves.
I would die not to see the land again.

When stars cry and angels die,
That's when I'll give up befriending you
When the children don't ask, "Why?"
And the bird with clipped wings flies,
That's when I'll take my love back from you

I would and will give it all away for them.
For one look, one tough sigh, one day of us, together
Only then could I die happy in the end
But you'll never say it, you'll never stay
And I'll be autonomously all alone again

As I've reached out, so have you lashed out
Shouted, glared to let me know you don't care
I am now, that crying star about to die in disgust.
That dying, falling angel as a piece of trash.
But I will never ever. Never, stop asking, "Why?"

Your vulturous looks leave scars on my face
I ditched the umbilical to be with you
None can drive madness into me as you do
Sans everything, it'll still beat for you
My breath. My steps. Everything will speak of you.

My sticks and stones, they break your bones
My lustful sighs. My dreams. My little why's
My words have always hurt you. In the dark.
I have always heard your anguished groans
And I'm sorry, 'cause now, I hate to love you.

The man grew unconscious of his senses. Skipped a few more heartbeats. The sun ditched the horizon and his motivation ditched his self belief. Unsure, still his heart wanted him to wait. The metal suddenly grew colder. The colors became vacuous. Unaware of the emptiness, he scribbled back - " And I'm sorry. Not for what I did. But for what I didn't ".


PS: Unlike my style. I tried to be easy.
 

21 comments so far.

  1. Creation June 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Well,
    I came here to expect another cryptic, penetrating post and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, this might not be your style but it's equally effective, perhaps a trifle more so.

    Kudos!
  2. AD June 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    :)
  3. Me June 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    Beautiful as usual .. Love the setting!
  4. Nim June 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    interesting...nice one
  5. angel from heaven June 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    Very moving and full of emotion.
    I like this line
    "When stars cry and angels die,
    That's when I'll giving up befriending you."
  6. rabbit June 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    nice one...
    the end was good :)
  7. mantiz June 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM
    beautiful.. nothing short of that :)
  8. Adisha June 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    I agree with Creation, that this works just a tad more than your usual abstract style :)maybe coz it's more understandable to us laymen :))

    A very moving piece.... So often we regret things we've done, but oftener we regret things we've never attempted !!

    I loved the way the languish is expressed ...
  9. Misty Rhythm June 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    visiting after a long time! and boy am i pleased! simple and effective...one can almost feel the desperation of the 'poet'.

    will keep visiting more often :)
  10. Anty June 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    Definitely different from the usual, but touching and honest all the same.
  11. R.V June 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM
    As usual.. brilliant.. I could post lines that I liked but then the whole poem would be here... I like the prose supporting the poem.. It is different and nice! :)

    I want more!
  12. Hapi July 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....
  13. indavao July 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM
  14. Garima Bhatia August 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Wow..second last stanza..I loved the metaphorical sense in it!!

    Wonderful comprehension :)
  15. yojitha August 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    the last few phrases were depressing for me!!!
    but im in luv wid da metaphors!!!!
    cheers!!
  16. Aparajita Bhattacharya (Administrator) August 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    Beautiful poem.
    And I hope you will update your blog soon!
  17. Nivipooh August 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    A beautiful poem with lyrical description. I liked they way you have used the metaphors.

    Dark as expected but mild compared to previous posts.

    Overall very interesting and good to read
  18. Sidra Ch. August 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    Simply love it. :)
  19. Misty September 19, 2009 at 12:39 AM
    Loved it!
  20. Preeti October 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    well...you update after such a long time but you make it worth the wait everytime.
    im amazed at the richness of this text. in fact every single poem of yours is like one of those precious jewels that a woman would pick up with tender hands, watch it lovingly for a very long time, admire it with sighs and then place carefully inside an intricately carved box. and even after the lid is shut she gazes wistfully into the distance and thinks about them...
    i don't know what to say. because i feel so full of some nameless emotion every single time i read your poems. you have such a gift...

    "i ditched the umbilical to be with you..." - who thinks of such lines, man...damn!!!!
  21. Sorcerer October 14, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    wow!! beautiful dude.

Something to say?